Sunday, August 22, 2010

Korean Vegetarian Restaurant!

It almost seems oxymoronic to say Korean and Vegetarian  together! I have been having this opinion that except say Insadong at Seoul, it maybe almost impossible to find a Korean restaurant serving only vegetarian/vegan fare. And was I surprised!

Last Saturday, after an early morning show of Toy Story 3 at the Suwon Station CGV, I found myself on the way to this Korean restaurant, Tranche,  along with Korean friend's family. It is about 6 km  from Suwon station towards the west of Suwon and located in a rural area nestled near the mountains.

There are quite a few restaurants in the vicinity- after a hike of the mountains, these restaurants get business from Koreans! We reached around 11 am, and since lunch hours begin at 12, we thought it better to take our seats and then go a walk around the restaurant. Another surprise awaited us- except for a couple of tables, the rest were already reserved! Just shows that if a restaurant is good enough, people will go far to enjoy its fare.  

The buffet spread is one of the largest I have seen anywhere. Except for a couple or so dishes which had fake meat (probably made from bean), the rest were vegan. The thing with fake meat is that if food looks like meat the reversion that I get is the same, does not quite matter if it is meat or not. Probably ,fake meat dishes are good for people who cannot stay away from meat in a restaurant, or for people transitioning from meat-based diet to a vegan/vegetarian diet.

Coming back to the spread, I ate to my full and yet I had not tasted all the dishes. And, since there was a Korean message pasted on the wall, requesting that food not be wasted, I was doubly cautious! It is not often that I get to eat Korean vegetarian food. Probably that made the food more delicious since I valued this oppurtunity to indulge my taste buds. I finished off the lunch with watermelons and cold cinnamon tea. 

 And the price for the buffet was quite affordable. I found it difficult to believe that the restaurant people could afford to price it relatively low for the buffet. I would surely go there again and recommend the place whole heartedly to all vegan/vegetarian Korean food seekers!


Address:
뜰안채
수원시, 권선구 호매실동 821-1

Tranche,
821-1, HoMaySilDong, GuanSonGu, Suwon City


Business Hours:
             Lunch 12:00 ~ 15:00
             Dinner: 18:00 ~ 21:00

Phone: 031-291-5879












Respected the notice requesting customers not to waste food!






1 comment: