Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Korean Permanent Resident Visa (F-5)

With increasing number of foreigners choosing to stay for longer durations in Korea, there is a growing interest in residency/permanent residency visas. Helping to make life in Korea a bit more convenient, it makes sense to have one if one plans to stay here for an extended period. The points system established for the F-2 visa makes the application process simpler. For those interested in the permanent resident visa, there are various ways and criteria to apply for it.

How to get?
Many roads lead to a F-5:
  • The person who has been longer than 5 consecutive years in Korea 
  • The person who invested more than USD 500,000
  • The one who is applicable to apply naturalization
  • Doctor's degree holder in the field of high-tech industry
  • The one who has brilliant ability in specialized field 
  •  Working visit (H-2) status holder
  • Spouse of Korean national, Spouse and children under age of Permanent Residency (F-5) status holder
  • Overseas Korean (F-4) status holder
  • Overseas Chinese who was born in Korea 
  •  Bachelor's degree and license holder in the field of high-tech industry
  • Who has done distinguished service 
  •  A pension beneficiary
Related links:
English: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/en/info/popup/icis/3-4-2_pop.htm
Korean: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/kr/info/popup/icis/3-4-2_pop.htm

It is a usual thing to find the English versions of Korean websites not having the latest info.
The English version and Korean links show different financial and Korean language skills requirements for various visa types. It would be better to look at the English version to get an idea of F-5 eligibility and the Korean version to crosscheck. The annual income and TOPIK requirements have been relaxed recently adn it can be found in the Korean version.


Why to get F-5?

Listing some of the benefits of a F-5 visa...
  • On paper, a F-5 visa holder is legally same as a Korean, except for presidential elections. Voting in local elections is allowed after 3 years of being a permanent resident holder. 
  • One need not worry about renewing visas every year or every few years.
  • F-5 visa holder can use the Korean lines at the airport
  • One is free to go for any legal job in Korea.
  • Free to make any investment
  • Spouse automatically gets a residency visa(F-2)
  • Can continue keeping the visa as long as a visit to Korea is made atleast once in 2 years

Personally, except for the spouse getting a residency visa, nothing else quite impresses me.
Unlike other countries, I have not yet seen any special benefits for being a permanent resident. Like getting visas for parents, getting bank loans, to cite a couple of examples. It sure makes life a little bit more convenient though. And, probably as Korea opens up, things may change for the better! Hope^^








30 comments:

  1. I just want to ask if you got F5?
    Thanks a lot for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been staying in Korea for 6 years, and I have a PhD degree in Computer Engineering.
    I contacted 1345 to ask for my case, but because I had a gap of 3 months going back my country (Vietnam). Thus, my 5 years have gone.
    I am going to apply F5 using my PhD degree. But I'm not sure it works or not.
    Could I ask you for which road(s) you applied? Do you have to pay more tax after changing to F5?

    Thank you very much. Your information is extremely useful to me.
    Thuy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot. I read you email.
    I will try to apply as what you said.
    Have a nice day.
    Thuy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey do you jnow anything about the f2-99?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't.
      i found a link http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2611753
      Hope it is useful for you.
      Regards

      Delete
  5. Hi, can you please tell me the document's required for F5 visa ? I have been here for 7 years and would like to apply for F5 visa but I have no idea of the process and the required documents to apply for F5 visa.
    I would be very grateful if you could kindly let me know the required documents for applying F5 visa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you share to me the way(s) to apply Vijay Kumar M.?
    I also got PhD. in Korea and stay here for more than 7 years (not continuously).
    @Nguyen Tuong Thuy: did you got the VISA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the best way would be to take documents(education/work/income/etc) to the nearest immigration office and apply. They should help you with suggestions in case something is lacking.

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Hello Vijay!! hope you are doing fine. it seems you got your F-5 visa as you had PhD from Korea. however, could you please inform how long did it take to get your visa after you applied?? thanks in advance :)

      Delete
  7. hi guys if anyone can help me to know my wife she has F5 visa and she want to apply for korean citizenship

    please if anyone know the process let me know

    thanks and best regards

    email : s.miziout@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi guys if anyone can help me to know my wife she has F5 visa and she want to apply for korean citizenship

    please if anyone know the process let me know

    thanks and best regards

    email : s.miziout@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vijay, I'm a Korean-American retiree (70 years old) with US citizenship, and an F-5 visa. Does my wife (also Korean-American with US citizenship) automatically qualify for an F-2 visa based on my F-5 stauts? We get confusing and conflicting answers from the Immigration authorities! Would appreciate some advice. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can i get f5 visa from a student visa? Please give me some advice...

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can i get f5 visa from a student visa? Please give me some advice...

    ReplyDelete
  12. too good piece of information, I had come to know about your site from my friend sajid, bangalore,i have read atleast 11 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your web-page gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new post, once again hats off to you! Thanks a lot once again, Regards, Canada Immigration consultants in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Vijay Sir..I am Kunal
    ...And I am on F2 long term residence visa right now what is the criteria for me to get F5 residence visa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd better read this manual carefully http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/NtcCotnDetailR_en.pt?pageSpec=&targetRow=16&lafjOrderBy=&sRange=&sKeyWord=&newscttSeq=45&bbsGbCd=BS10&langCd=EN&pageCode=list&bbsSeq=2&bbsNm=Notice (Announcement/Notice No. 35 in case the link does't work)

      Delete
  14. Please reply on kunalmore83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please reply on kunalmore83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Vijay Sir..I am Kunal
    ...And I am on F2 long term residence visa right now what is the criteria for me to get F5 residence visa

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. criminal rehabilitation canada

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you a business man or woman? Do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you need funds to finance your project? We Offers guaranteed loan services of any amount and to any part of the world for (Individuals, Companies, Realtor and Corporate Bodies) at our superb interest rate of 3%. For application and more information send replies to the following E-mail address: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply.
    Regards,
    Muqse

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you a business man or woman? Do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you need funds to finance your project? We Offers guaranteed loan services of any amount and to any part of the world for (Individuals, Companies, Realtor and Corporate Bodies) at our superb interest rate of 3%. For application and more information send replies to the following E-mail address: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply.
    Regards,
    Muqse

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you need a genuine Loan to settle your bills and startup
    business? contact us now with your details to get a good
    Loan at a low rate of 3% per Annual email us:
    Do you need Personal Finance?
    Business Cash Finance?
    Unsecured Finance
    Fast and Simple Finance?
    Quick Application Process?
    Finance. Services Rendered include,
    *Debt Consolidation Finance
    *Business Finance Services
    *Personal Finance services Help
    Please write back if interested with our interest rate datanfincorpfinance@gmail.com Whats-app us on +918929593217

    ReplyDelete